First dates are tough-– you want to make a good impression, you want them to think you’re cool and you want to hit it off. But, sometimes all those things don’t go exactly how you planned in your head. Here are 15 awkward things you shouldn’t do on a first date.
1. Don’t text a friend or your mom asking what you should do on the date
You’ll almost always send it to your date, purely by accident, and she won’t be impressed.
2. Don’t do anything potentially dangerous on the date
The last thing you want is a trip to the ER when you’re on a first date.
3. Don’t make her second guess if you’re gay or straight
Treat her like a date not a buddy!
4. Don’t drink too much
It will lead to you doing something stupid like sweeping her legs out from under her…in a not-so-romantic way.
5. Don’t lose your keys or lock them in the car
Again, she won’t be very impressed by this.
6. Don’t go out to eat at a fast-food place
Especially McDonalds. C’mon man, you can definitely do better than that.
7. If you do go to a restaurant, don’t order weird stuff
The last thing you want to do is be eating something nasty-looking in front of a girl you might want to be kissing later.
8. Don’t try and say something witty or sarcastic if you meet her parents
Just, please, be a gentleman and shake their hands. You don’t want parents worrying about you.
9. This shouldn’t even have to be said, but don’t bring any kind of drugs with you on the date
That’s pretty much the fastest way to bring things to a complete halt.
10. Don’t take her to a weird movie
Do your homework, find out what’s good, what’s not and what she might like. I would recommend 50 Shades of Gray on the first date…or any date, really.
11. Don’t do anything beforehand that will force you to have to use the bathroom more than is normal during the date
All that spicy food you wanted to eat beforehand? Yeah, don’t touch that….
12. Don’t get drunk and talk about your ex
Just don’t talk about your ex. Nobody wants to hear it.
13. Don’t laugh during a kiss
If you laugh and snort, she’ll be so offended and you’ll never see her ever again.
14. Don’t shake her hand at the end
Um, can we say weird? You should at least be comfortable enough to give her a hug. You two just spent several hours together, getting to know each other.
15. Don’t say anything with the word “love” in it at the end
Do you want to totally freak him out? You don’t need to be using that word yet!