Lefties unite! Being left-handed isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. As a lefty myself, I was left to wonder why I struggled using scissors to cute things nicely in school, I hated that my handwriting was full of smudges and smears, and that spiral bound notebooks made my arm hurt. Life isn’t easy when you’re left-handed. If you’re a lefty, you’ll understand…and if you’re not, you’ll finally know all about our problems. Here are 19 struggles of being a left-handed person.
1. Mugs are not made for you
Go ahead and hold those cute mugs with messages on the inside. You’ll never be able to read them because they’re upside down. Sigh…
2. Cutting with scissors is a pain
Unless you have left-handed scissors, you’ve surely encountered one of these torture devices. Not only are they unwieldy and uncomfortable, you’ll also find because your fingers don’t fit correctly, you’ll hardly be able to cut anything at all. This will leave your cute snowflakes, strips of paper and artwork looking like something hacked away at it.
3. Finding a left-handed desk was a blessing
It was so unfair that everyone else got an arm rest and you didn’t. Until you found of these rare things. You had no problem kicking a righty out of these desks so you could use it.
4. This was a nightmare come true
Just imagine having to take a written test on one of those desks– pure torture I tell you!!
5. The silver smear
This happened every single time you had to write with pencil. And most pens. Pretty much anytime you tried to write on a paper, you ended up with this lovely look on your hand.
6. You get all excited when you realize a celebrity is a lefty like you
It’s like we have more in common that just the hand we write with. Maybe I’m special like her too!
7. All those right-handed kids got in your way
There’s nothing worse than bumping elbows with the girl next to you while trying to take notes in class.
8. Trying catching a ball with the wrong-handed mitt
Either you had to find a left-handed mitt or you couldn’t play. Simple as that.
9. Even zippers are better for righties!
A left-handed person has to reach over the fold of fabric to try to zip up their pants! This is a conspiracy, I tell you.
10. Spiral binders of death
Did you ever get pinched or poked in the arm while trying to write inside one of these? It was either that or you were writing with your arm upside down to get out-of-the-way of the spirals.
11. You don’t get to read the labels on pens
They are ALWAYS upside-down to you. Always. You’ll never know what they say.
12. No crossword puzzles for the lefty
You smear the letters and then you can’t even read what the words are anymore.
13. The way people always have to remark about it
Yep. This happens every time.
14. Stupid spiral-bound notebooks
More like arm-pinching notebooks that annoy you to death. Did you ever flip the page over and take notes on the back to save yourself some pain?
15. Tape measure lie to you
These contraptions are made for left-handed people. Don’t be fooled.
16. Try playing video games when you’re left-handed
Actually, you can be just as good at this as the next person, it just takes a little bit of work and skill.
17. Can openers were made for righties
You know, just so you’re aware.
18. Ice cream scoops: also made for righties
Life isn’t fair.
19. Even bank pens are trying to conspire against you
They point the other way so you have to reach farther to grab them. Humphhh.