Derrick Lin, a photographer and brand strategist who works in advertising, has a very creative way of coping with the monotonous office life. In his spare time, Mr. Lin builds small moments (like literally small) with miniature figurines that capture the trials and tribulations of the unglamorous 9 to 5 job.
Whether it’s camping at the desk because of a deadline or just longing for the coffee break, these photos playfully capture the clichés and frustrations of working in a busy advertising company. Enjoy these 35 cleverly funny and adorable photos of mini figurines capturing the ups and downs of agency life.
1. After counting the number of pitches won, campaigns released, and potential disasters avoided, we are ready to flip over the last page of the year.
2. At the end of each week, it’s time to track all the work we did.
3. Bad hair is one of the top killers of productivity. Some figures fix a colleague’s style.
4. Birthdays are the only excuse to vandalize your coworkers desk then talk about it over a drink afterwards.
5. Can’t believe we still have to come to work when it’s this cold.
6. Down for maintenance. Mini figurines appearing to do some maintenance work on Mr. Lin.
7. Edits make me feel like starting over! #writerproblems. A mini figurine pretends to mow across a draft piece of work.
8. Every vacationer knows there is a mountain of work waiting for them to come back.
9. Fetching the best ideas from our memories can be challenging some days.
10. Fun times. It’s the all-important office beer party.
11. ‘If I have to listen one more time to my coworkers fabulous vacations!’ Mini figurines sunbath on Mr. Lin’s desk.
12. Men in boiler suits clean the office fridge.
13. Mini figures involved in a medical emergency.
14. Music helps balance the ups and downs of the work week.
15. Nail salon… who has time for that? Mini figurines paint the nails of a colleague on Mr Lin’s desk.
16. Office holiday parties can be fun unless you happen to be an introvert.
17. On some days we wish there is more excitement in the office.
18. Our work is subject to rigorous internal review before the client sees it.
19. Pitching in. Deadlines mean camping at the desk.
20. Rug’s life. Mini figurines appearing to farm a piece of fabric on Mr. Lin’s desk.
21. Some calls give us grey hair. A mini figurine appearing to paint the grey hairs on a co-worker
22. Sometimes it takes a lot for ideas to be noticed. Mini figurines balance on the glasses of a co-worker.
23. Sometimes we wish the client can see what we see.
24. Sweet picture. Candy is the currency in the office.
25. Take Your Kid to Work Day. Mini figurines play with crayons on Mr. Lin’s desk.
26. That moment when you get a pat on the shoulder. Brass band figurines mark the occasion.
27. This figure illustrates the world-wide yearning for coffee breaks.
28. The heat is on Mini figurines appear to put out a fire.
29. Workers often daydream during their busiest moments.
30. Tiny chimp figures recreate 2001: A Space Odyssey on Mr. Lin’s desk.
31. Waiting to see if we won a pitch makes time go by so slowly.
32. Well, everyone is back in the office. Now what.
33. We’re thankful our clients are spending quality time with their families.
34. When hunger strikes. Mini figurines make their point on Mr. Lin’s desk.
35. Working in advertising means we are always ready to jump in and help put out the fire.