If you grew up in the 90’s, then you lived through the hair revolution. This was the decade (that lasted into the millennium) when it was cool to have a million little machines and doodads to fix your hair with. Claire’s was your favorite store for purchasing all the little things you needed to look good. You never realized how boring styling your hair is now until you looked back on your youth. Here are hair tools and styles every 90’s girl will instantly recognize.
1. When it was cool to have straight, curly and crimped hair all at the same time
This was the ultimate late 90’s style. If you could straighten your hair, then curl random pieces and put others through a crimping iron, you were so popular.
2. Danielle Fishel caused us some serious hair envy
Those long straight locks looked amazing no matter what she did with it– crimped, braided, high ponytail, or down. This girl made us all want lock thick hair.
3. Melissa Joan Hart’s butterfly clips
This was the look that launched a thousand tries by every girl in the nation back when “Sabrina the Teenage Witch,” was on TV.
4. When you went to bed with braids all over your head in hopes of waking up with waves
Waves were hard to come by back then. The only drawback was when your ends were flat and straight and the rest of your hair was wavy, what could you do?
5. You used these little babies to get curls
They didn’t stay in well at all and hardly ever worked but when they did, you had some serious curls.
6. Back when crimping pieces of your hair was cool
It was also cool to wear metallic nude lipstick and have a mini-crimper for those tiny crimped pieces.
7. Here’s that mini crimper
It was a heavy thing for how small those waves were.
8. Ouch barrettes
You had to press these things into the side of your head to make them stay in. This probably caused brain damage in some.
9. Back when wrapping your hair was so cool
Except don’t plan on taking that thing out ever. Because you’re never going to get your hair out of it.
10. You used a ponytail flipper a few times in your life
Nobody wants to see that rubber band– flip it!
11. Back when these hideous handkerchiefs were the hottest fashion accessory
It was like totally pioneer fashion chic.
12. Even Britney approved of butterfly clips
But, she also approved of brown lipstick, so there’s that…
13. You used a Part Pizazz to make shapes in your part
Because having a zig-zag part was the coolest thing ever in elementary school.
14. Jaw clips to the rescue
This was used to hold up all of your hair on lazy days...unless you had really fine thin hair. Then it just didn’t work at all.
15. Banana clips for when you just want hair out of your face
You tried to get ones that were all pretty but really, you had a hard time getting your hair in this.
16. Back when your scrunchie game was strong
You had one in every color and pattern you could think of.
17. You used a little machine to make these cool twists
They never stayed in and left your hair terribly tangled.
18. This was the twister from your nightmares
So much hair ripping out and getting pulled…
19. You wore these headbands every day
And looked like a strange creature in doing so.
No matter how hard you tried, it still didn’t look as cool as the picture.
21. Clip and chopstick
This looked so awesome but you could never figure it out.
22. Marble doo-dads
These things would hit you in the head if you pulled too hard.