If you’re from the United States, you probably think of Canada in terms of ice, snow, cold, and frozen tundra. But, this isn’t the case for the entire country. It’s actually a pretty big place and parts of it are extremely beautiful (hello, have you ever heard of Prince Edward Island?). But, there are just some things that you’ll never understand about Canadian life unless you’ve lived there. Here’s 18 things that only make sense if you’re from Canada.
1. When people think of your country as just one city
We don’t all live in Toronto, buddy. And depending on where we do live, Toronto could be really really far away from us.
2. We don’t really think of our politicians as being cute
They have a job to do. So, we don’t want to take away from that by calling them hot, sexy or cute. Despite whatever we might actually think about the guy, he has more to do for our country than be a sex symbol.
3. You don’t even know about the problems we face
Whether it’s internet speed or people not making their videos visible up here in Canada, we’ve got problems too, you know.
4. We are unaware that we have an accent
We think Americans have an accent. Especially Americans from the South…or the east. Actually, yeah, it’s you guys who have an accent– not us!
5. We don’t actually love learning French
YOU try staying awake through a two-hour movie that’s exclusively in French…with no sub-titles and see how you do!
6. We think French immersion should end
It just leaves us so very confused…
7. The winters are pretty brutal
Yep, it’s cold up here. Get over it already or you’ll freeze to death and die.
8. The snow comes sooner up here
Well, what can we say? We’re just closer to the North Pole is all. And it starts to snow in October and that usually ends around June. Then we enjoy a lovely– albeit, short– summer.
9. Don’t even expect the snow to be gone until July
Nobody wants crushed hopes and dreams. Just stop hoping and accept that it snows more than it doesn’t around here and you’ll be ok.
10. We like our cappuccino hot AND cold
We don’t have much else to be happy about up here. Hey, we’re just kidding. Life is great and there’s a foot of snow on the ground already.
11. When a guy’s idea of a hot date is going to Tim Horton’s
Roll your eyes because nothing on Tim Horton’s menu is terribly expensive.
12. It’s all about the gold
We know we deserve those gold medals up here in Canada. Not only do we have gold in our mountains, we’re extremely talented when it comes to winter Olympic sports.
13. We’ve had same-sex marriage legal for 10 years now!
It was made legal back in 2005…which makes us much more progressive than a few other countries we can think of…
14. When announcers know nothing about Canadian sports teams
Hey– we’re here to play too, ok!
15. Get that leaf out
“I found this on the ground outside the stadium.”
16. Can you name a city in Canada besides Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal?
Yeah…didn’t think so.
17. You have no idea about cold
If you’re from Canada, at least we know you’ve experienced some serious cold.
18. It’s really really cold
Nope, we’re pretty sure you can’t handle it up here– why don’t you go on back to your warm states and leave us alone to enjoy our frosty and glorious country?