A watering can with a spout turned backwards, an umbrella made of cement, a pair of yellow rain boots without the toes and a plate covered with fur. These are just some of the quirky reconstructions of simple and useful everyday objects by architect Katerina Kamprani’s design project entitled “The Uncomfortable”. According to the Athens-based Kamprani, her goal is to tweak the fundamental properties of simple and useful everyday objects to deliberately make them inconvenient.
As Kamprani puts it, “When it comes to everyday objects, we have an idea in our minds what it could do. We all know what a fork does, and a spoon does, and all these everyday objects. So you have an expectation for that object. What I design is very close to that, but a bit different.”
Most of the reconstructed items in this project are 3D renderings rather than physical objects. When asked how she comes up with these quirky redesigns, Kamprani said that she first analyzes how the a particular item interacts with a user and once she identifies that, she sabotages this feature discretely, making the item uncomfortable to use.
1. A pocket full of these might push you over the edge.
2. Have a cup of uncomfortable.
3. Dinner is served…in HELL.
4. Enjoy your drink.
6. For those people who love to inconvenience themselves while eating.
7. Furry plate.
8. Great for dieting.
9. Have a seat if you hate yourself.
10. Have fun cooking with this bad boy.
11. Have fun getting hot liquid on yourself.
12. Big heavy buttons are the best said no one ever.
13. I’d wear this so I could throw it through a window.
14. Inflatable Door Knob.
15. Last seen in the waiting rooms in Hell.
16. A soup bowl with a hole. Thanks a lot.
17. Perfect for hail and hating your life.
18. Pretty but useless.
19. Really useful if you have three hands.
20. Salt and pepper shaker for those who love to get frustrated.
21. Stairway to hell.
22. Stop ruining my coffee.
23. The chair from hell.
24. This can’t even water itself.
25. This is just sadistic.
26. Try to look sophisticated drinking out of this.
27. Uncomfortable candlestick.
28. Useless broom.
29. We wish you a miserable Christmas.
30. This will ruin your morning coffee.